Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Playing Catch Up!

Baaahhh!! I've had so much that I've wanted to blog about lately that this post is all about playing catch up, so I might be a little verbose. The last few weeks at home have been crazy with me hanging out with friends before ADF, running errands, and hanging out with my papa, which is why it's been so difficult to find time to blog. So, here's some things that have made an impression on me or been entertaining from the last few weeks.

The Bachelorette
Yes, I am a Bachelorette watcher. Although I have to say I began watching it only because I watched Bachelor Pad last summer and I thought it was hilarious! For those that don't know, that show had contestants from past seasons of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette that didn't "find" love. It was pretty much just a ridiculous competition show and that's really how I saw all these shows initially, which is why my dad and I started watching the seventh season this summer for a good laugh. The first two episodes were just sooo dramatic and hilarious, but I woke up early this morning to watch the latest episode from last night and my opinion has changed a little. I still think the show is contrived, but I also feel like that there are a few contestants and the bachelorette Asheley who genuinely feel  invested in the process of the show.

Personally, I always felt like the show didn't allow for a real relationship to happen because they always have grandiose dates that would never really happen in life (i.e. jetting off to Vegas for a first date) and part of getting to know someone is seeing what they choose for a date. An average date allows you to see what the other person wants you to know about them and what they like vs. the show where they're forced to follow the show or the decisions of the bachelor/bachelorette, which is pretty one-sided. So, even though some pretty ridiculous and dramatic things happened in this past episode with a couple of the guys, I felt like it allowed the audience to really see how Ashley and the guys were thinking and feeling. This really came out for me when JP had his date with Ashley after Bentley left and they were able to just hang at her place and be homebodies.
JP - The Bachelorette Contestant
Even though I think the show is kinda ridiculous, I have liked JP from the first episode and I actually thought, why is such a cool and normal guy going through this whole thing, he could do so much better! But he's brought a level of normality to the show that the others don't. I initially liked him cause he reminded me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 Days of Summer) but his comments on the show show how he believes that real relationships develop when things are the most casual and I totally agree! It's nice to do something crazy or get fancy but that's not an everyday way of living. So basically, he's my front-runner, although I think he can do better than Ashley (despite how sweet she is)!

On the other hand, has anyone else noticed how awesome Chris Harrison the host of the show is?? I would not be surprised if someone on the show had fallen in love with him! His chat with Ashley before the rose ceremony showed real insight. In an article I read that included parts of an interview with him, you can tell he thinks the show can be overdone but he is also really invested in the contestants and feels bad for what Ashley had to go through. It was also interesting to hear him tell Ashley that the show has no rules and that they do what Ashley wants them to do, which is more than I thought they would allow her! Basically Chris Harrison is awesome and one of the best parts of the show!
Chris Harrison - Host of The Bachelorette


Midnight in Paris
On to other news, this past Saturday my dad and I had a day of fun running around Houston shopping and then we went and saw the new Woody Allen film Midnight in Paris. After seeing the trailer, I really wanted to see the film cause I feel like I share very similar thoughts to the main character, played by Owen Wilson, in the film. Basically, Allen's most recent film is about a writer Gil (Wilson) who is visiting Paris with his fiancee (Rachel McAdams) and her parents when he discovers 1920s Paris at midnight when he goes on a walk through the city. Gil is nostalgic for the past and believes he was meant to be born in another era, a golden age of creativity: the 1920s. So when he discovers this ability to go to 1920s Paris and meet the greats, such as Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Dali, he feels totally in awe! While there, he meets one of Pablo Picasso's mistresses Adriana (Marion Cotillard) and they begin having a relationship. However, Gil sees his own nostalgia mirrored in Adriana who dreams of living in her golden-age at the turn of the century. In the end, Gil realizes that everyone wishes for another time and most don't see the greatness that surrounds them in the present.

This film really resonated with me because, as you can tell by the title of my blog, I often feel like I was meant to have lived in another era and that I would have appreciated the lifestyles of past periods. I won't say that this film changed my view cause that's just way too cheesy of me, but I do think it was a really interesting concept for a film. Of course there was also a lot of great comedy in the film, especially if you're really knowledgeable about works from the 1920s and all the great artists because the references they make are hilarious!! It's in limited release but if it's playing near you, I highly suggest it!

Deep-Frying
Alright, we're coming to a close, but one last thing I want to mention. I was talking to a good friend of mine about my recent cooking escapades and she said I should write about it on here because she loves cooking blogs, so this one is for you (you know who you are!). My dad and I love to watch the show America's Test Kitchen (I've mentioned it in a previous blog) and we love to try the recipes that they show. Two of them were about making homemade french fries. Naturally we go out and buy a couple pounds of potatoes, a Dutch Oven, and a whole lot of peanut oil and get to cooking! We had so much fun with this recipe that we became obsessed with the idea of deep-frying and were constantly talking about deep-frying all foods (i.e. pineapple, shrimp, onion rings). The suggestions for what to deep-fry became more and more outrageous as time went by, but in the end, we only made french fries. Of the two recipes, my favorite was the Crunchy Potato Wedges, so go out and buy yourself some potatoes and oil and get to cooking!!

Crunchy Potato Wedges

From the episode: Family Supper
If you don't have buttermilk, substitute 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Let the mixture sit 15 minutes before using.
Serves 6.  

Ingredients

3 large russet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or peanut oil, plus 3 quarts for frying
4 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions

  1. Combine salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, cayenne, and oregano in small bowl.
  2. Toss potato wedges with 4 teaspoons spice mixture and 1_4 cup oil in large microwave-safe bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 7 to 9 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking. Slowly remove plastic wrap from bowl (be careful of steam) and drain potatoes. Arrange potatoes on rimmed baking sheet and cool until potatoes firm up, about 10 minutes. (Potatoes can be held at room temperature for up to 2 hours.)
  3. Heat remaining 3 quarts oil in large Dutch oven over high heat to 340 degrees. Meanwhile, combine flour and cornstarch in medium bowl and whisk buttermilk and baking soda in large bowl. Working in 2 batches, dredge potato wedges in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, then coat again in flour mixture. Shake off excess and place on wire rack. (Potatoes can be coated up to 30 minutes in advance.)
  4. When oil is ready, add half the coated wedges and fry until deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer wedges to large bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon spice mixture. Drain wedges on baking sheet lined with paper towels. Return oil to 340 degrees and repeat with second batch of wedges. Serve with extra seasoning on side. 

    Make Ahead: Our Crunchy Potato Wedges freeze very well. Follow steps 1 through 4, frying each batch of wedges until they are light golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not toss with seasoning, and drain and cool potatoes completely on baking sheet lined with paper towels. Freeze wedges on baking sheet until completely frozen, about 2 hours, then transfer potatoes to zipper-lock storage bag for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, heat 3 quarts oil to 340 degrees and cook in 2 batches until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Toss with seasonings, drain, and serve.
    From America's Test Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment