Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Good Chick Flicks -- I Bet You Haven't Heard Of

It seems fitting, given that I'm a HUGE movie buff, that I make my first post about movies! I don't know about you, but my life would not be the same without the use of Watch Instantly on Netflix. Sure, not all the movies offered are classics, one of the greats, or even passably good, but occasionally you do find a really good film that kind of comes out of nowhere (if you're in to big, sweeping epics, Agora is a pretty good one). Anyways, this post is specifically to make you aware of two great "chick flicks" (I cringe to use that term, bleh) that I've discovered on Netflix.


#1 My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
Made in 2010, this film stars Alyssa Milano as the female lead and although there's a definite happy-go-lucky, made for TV feel to the movie, I still was happily impressed with it. It's about a girl who appears to meet two great guys at the same time and simultaneously dates them. As both relationships progress, you start to feel miffed at Milano's character and how she can appear so sweet and yet be jerking these two guys around. However, if you are a clever movie-watcher and great at guessing plots, then the twist probably didn't catch you by surprise. Alas, despite all the movies I've seen, I still can't seem to guess movie plots to save my life. Therefore, the very surprising plot twist did catch me by surprise and suddenly turned my miffed feeling into a completely happy one. Happy to have discovered something that was both sweet and surprising. It was nice to see a movie that didn't rely on violence and sex to make an interesting story, but instead actually thought about the plot and created something interesting to watch.


#2 The Good Guy
Made in 2009, this film stars Alexis Bledel, Scott Porter, and Bryan Greenberg in a story that proves that good guys don't finish last. I'm gonna tangent for a moment and say that I love most "chick flicks" like any other girl but there's a certain amount of delusion in those films when a girl ends up with the suave, debonair, extremely rich guy who just so happens to also be sweet. Chances are that in real life that guy is a player and a huge douche...but I digress. The point is that any self-respecting girl in real life probably wouldn't end up with a guy like that for self-preservation reasons, especially when they use more product in their hair than you do. That is why I really enjoyed this particular movie because it sets up the story, making it appearing that Bledel's character is dating a real catch, a Wall Street star whose making tons of money and looking good while doing it. In the end though, the film progresses to show you the guy's true nature and brings forth his colleague as the real contender, an actual good guy despite some awkwardness. That is real life because good guys won't finish last because girls will always prefer the sweet guy to the jerk, no matter how most movies paint it otherwise.

In other news though, a chick flick that I'm looking forward to coming out on May 6th is Something Borrowed starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Colin Egglesfield, and Kate Hudson. The movie is an adaptation of an Emily Giffin novel and I must say that I love Emily Giffin books (although that one isn't my favorite). So, if you're looking for good chick-lit, check out her books; my particular favorites are Love the One You're With and Baby Proof. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel. I slept two hours last night. I just got back from class. I really really wanted to go back to sleep...but now I think I might have to watch a movie first!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete