Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Lovin' on Netflix

My family has had a Netflix account for years and years now. I definitely had a little obsession with it when we first got it. I mean, when you consider my love for movies, it's pretty obvious what a great tool it is to be able to queue up any and all movies that interest me, then from there they get delivered straight into our mailbox. However, once I went off to college my dad refused to let me have my own account at school. Initially, I was disappointed but it really did make sense in the end (of course dad would be right). Anyways, since then, coming home every holiday has been made even more exciting with the ability to use our Netflix account once again. Even though at school I can watch the movies on the Instant Watch option, it does limit the amount of good movies I get to see, so being able to get anything once I come home is great!

Therefore, my last few weeks have contained a whole slew of varying movies, some good and some not. On the not side was Blue Valentine, truly just plain bad, and the first disc of a 1970s television miniseries Lillie that I could just not sit through. But some good ones included the documentary Paul Taylor: Dancemaker, which if you're interested in dance, like I am, is a great film about the very famous modern choreographer, Paul Taylor. I also got the espionage thriller The International starring Clive Owen and Naomi Watts. Along similar lines, my dad had the movie Fair Game, based on the real life events of CIA operative Valerie Plame Wilson, whose cover was blown by members of Vice President Cheney's office. If you like spy movies, that was a great one, not only for the plot, but just knowing that it actually happened! My dad bought me the autobiography of the same title written by Wilson, which I'm currently reading.
 

Anyways, my most recent film from Netflix was the 2000 film Memento starring Guy Pearce and Carrie-Ann Moss. I put it at the top of my queue not really knowing what it was, it was a movie I put on my queue back when we first got our account. Since there aren't any particular movies I've wanted to see, I've been putting random ones at the top of my list just to see what I'd get. This was a definite winner! Definitely a psychological thriller and a "thinking" film, it is presented in a fragmented manner in order to parallel the short-term memory loss that the main character suffers from, which creates a suspenseful and captivating story. If you end up watching this, make sure to pause the movie when you go for a bathroom break or to refill your drink, otherwise you might miss something crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment